After weeks of negotiations with city Alderman Joe Moreno, the fast-food restaurant agreed to take “a much closer look” at which groups receive donations from the WinShape Foundation, a non-profit created by the Cathy family and funded almost entirely by Atlanta-based Chick-fil-A, the company told Moreno.
“The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas,” Chick-fil-A’s senior director of real estate said in a letter to Moreno.
Between 2008 and 2010, the WinShape Foundation gave $3.2 million to groups that advocate against same-sex marriage, according to the group’s tax reports. That included $2,000 to the Family Research Council, which was designated as a “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center in 2010, and $2,500 to the Alliance Defense Fund, which supported California’s Proposition 8 to outlaw gay marriage.
If true, they either A) got enough bad PR that it became a real problem or B) actually lost a lot of money. Either way, boycotts work!
20 Notes/ Hide
- tlexx said: Whoop whoop, he’s my alderman!
- newyorketc reblogged this from apsies and added:
- jelizabethl likes this
- meredithbklyn likes this
- aclikeslater likes this
- recordedforposterity reblogged this from apsies
- silverdreamms reblogged this from apsies
- silverdreamms likes this
- sixohthree likes this
- serendippity likes this
- waxeygordon reblogged this from apsies and added:
- scripturesketches likes this
- dabeesneeze reblogged this from wanderthenwonder
- elbuhocongafas reblogged this from apsies and added:
- sweetturtleberry reblogged this from apsies and added:
- wanderthenwonder reblogged this from apsies
- encapture said: Translation: We lost a lot of money and got a lot of bad PR.
- apsies posted this