It’s not the greatest country in the world professor, that’s my answer.
Sharon, the NEA is a loser, yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paycheck but he gets to hit you with it any time he wants. It doesn’t cost money, it costs votes, it costs air time, it costs column inches. You know why people don’t like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so fucking smart, how come they lose so god damn always?
*Turns to conservative pundit*
And with a straight face you’re going to tell students that America is so star spangled awesome that we’re the only ones in the world that have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia, BELGIUM has freedom.
So, 207 sovereign states in the world, like 180 of them have freedom.
And you, sorority girl, just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day there’s somethings you should know. One of them is there’s absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we’re the greatest country in the world. We’re 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, Number 4 in labor force and Number 4 in exports, we lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending where spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies.
Now none of this is the fault of a 20 year old college student, but you none the less are without a doubt a member of the worst period generation period ever period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. Yosemite?
It sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons. We passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were and we never beat our chests. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world’s greatest artists and the world’s greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men, we aspired to intelligence, we didn’t belittle it, it didn’t make us feel inferior.
We didn’t identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election and we didn’t scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed, by great men, men who were revered. First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore. Enough?
— Jeff Daniels as Will McAvoy, The Newsroom
I’m sure that an inexplicably present and misplaced sense of nostalgia for my internship has something to do with this, but I kinda loved The Newsroom.
86 Notes/ Hide
- chelsiewoodall likes this
- thestoryofshe reblogged this from brain-food
- ohcaptain1mycaptain likes this
- ohcaptain1mycaptain reblogged this from brain-food
- secretmeetings likes this
- findingdani likes this
- kevendlam likes this
- -coolrunnings reblogged this from brain-food
- stomachknots likes this
- alansanchez likes this
- brandihasthehart reblogged this from brain-food
- brandihasthehart likes this
- coppercurls reblogged this from brain-food and added:
- rufuspfunk likes this
- commonplacecaz likes this
- andvalesays likes this
- nazchow likes this
- apeiron-infinite reblogged this from brain-food
- geepark said: We’re the worst period generation period ever? Is this rant a setup to him foolishly realizing how rose-tinted his nostalgia is? Ignorant words from a scared old baby boomer.
- niauropsaka reblogged this from newyorketc
- starsandsparklythings reblogged this from brain-food
- laurasanatomy reblogged this from brain-food
- newyorketc reblogged this from brain-food and added:
- laurasanatomy likes this
- timeslice reblogged this from brain-food
- forthewynne likes this
- hauntedllama likes this
- nicoa likes this
- c0d3 reblogged this from brain-food
- c0d3 likes this
- readmylifeaway likes this
- toonzle reblogged this from brain-food
- notallwhowanderarelust likes this
- ayoprettyflaco likes this
- illuminatink likes this
- colderthanapimpsheart likes this
- sunsetpeninsula likes this
- abcmle likes this
- csi-amishcountry reblogged this from brain-food
- neledis reblogged this from brain-food
- goldteefthief likes this
- welcomehomeroxie reblogged this from brain-food
- manofarms89 likes this
- coppercurls likes this
- cursesandswears likes this
- theflailingasgardian likes this
- littlebitoflovely reblogged this from brain-food
- capteenmurrica likes this
- thedancingtoast likes this
- littlebitoflovely likes this